Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Transitioning Out of the Nikon D70s

My wedding setup - the D70s, 70-200 2.8 (rented), 50 1.4, and 17-35 2.8.

When I frist considered buying a dSLR camera, the decision was between the Nikon D70s and the Canon D30. Both were good cameras, with the Canon being generally a better camera (bigger LCD, faster) but more expensive. So I went with Nikon knowing that the Nikon system was just as good if I ever want to do something more serious. At the time I was just wanted to take some nice pics in lower light - something a point and shoot little camera can't quite do. I've been pretty content with it until I started taking better pictures and ran into the limitations of the camera:

- Viewfinder is too small (the part where you look into)
- Too few focus points (only 5) which is annoying when I started wanting to focus on things not in the center.
- A little grainy in low light with difficulty focusing.
- Not enough dynamic range (shooting in the bright washes out the details easily)
- And lately, not enough megapixels for a big album (I found this out recently).
However, it was a great camera to learn from. It wasn't watered down in terms of manual controls and with a 50mm 1.8 lens, you can learn everything you need to know about taking pictures. Even though this is classified as an "amateur" camera, as you can see from all the photos from this blog, it can definitely hold it own in terms of cranking out "professional" looking pictures. In fact, I'll take any picture I've shot from this blog with the camera and take the Pepsi challenge. But...with the album requirements and low-light requirements for weddings, I've "maxed" out the utility of this little guy. More soon on transitioning into a new camera.

No comments: