Sunday, December 02, 2007

Why Prime Lenses Rule



This pic was taken at Lelany's house but I will use it to explain why prime lenses are my favorite type of lenses. For those of you who don't know, there are two types of lenses: primes and zooms. Zoom lenses are the most common, where you simply twist the lens to zoom in and out. Prime lenses have a fixed focal length, so to zoom in and out you simply step closer or further back. Now why use this?

1. Very sharp since there are fewer moving parts.
2. Relatively cheap, you can buy a 50mm 1.8 lens for around $100.
3. Bigger apertures (lower F-number) means nice blurs.
4. Relatively smaller size.

The shot above was shot with my favorite 50mm prime lens. I shoot about 95% of all my portraits with a prime lens. You're not going to "look" professional and some people like to show off their big professional lenses, but the problem is no one cares how you look, just your pictures.

No comments: